A blog detailing my recovery from Patella Tendonopathy (tendonitis/tendonosis) and my experience with PRP Injection

Monday, May 21, 2012

Day 1

This morning I went in for my first PRP injection to my left tendon. The whole procedure took around 40 mins. The doctors used ultrasound to determine how much scar tissue had built up around my knee and whether the PRP Injection would be effective in treating my patella tendonosis. They then drew 4 little units of my blood- pretty painless. My blood samples were then sent off to the lab to be spun around in a centrifuge in order to separate the Platelet Rich Plasma. The docs then injected my tendon under the guidance of ultrasound.  This is supposedly the most effective way of administering the injection. 

After all the testimonials I'd read I was expecting the pain to rival child birth, however even without local anesthetic the shot wasn't too bad. Painful and uncomfortable, but the Cortisone shot I had to my tendon was actually worse. I was able to walk to my car and drive to work without much of  a problem. As the day has progressed my knee has been feeling increasingly painful. However, at 9pm the pain seems to have leveled out and is very manageable. I definitely don't need any painkillers. Which is just as well as it's recommended that you avoid all anti-inflammatories after the PRP Injection for at least a week.

My Knee - Day 1


I'm really surprised at how little swelling and bruising there is. Let's hope this works, fingers crossed.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Dill,
    Very excited to read about your progress. Yesterday I was instructed by my doc to have a PRP injection for patellar tendonitis (2 yrs. post ACL reconstruction surgery). The procedure is scheduled for June 4th, and insurance won't cover it. There is so little information on this topic, and I'm wondering if it really is worth the $1870 out of pocket? Anything might be worth a try at this point, with pain for over 2 years. I'm currently doing personal training 2x week, and walking, running or biking the other days. How much pain is too much to work through? I don't want to limit myself, so trying PRP might be the best option at this point.

    Good luck to you and keep us updated!

    Regards,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna,

    Thanks for your comment. I feel your pain!! I went from running regular half marathons to struggling to walk up stairs. But hang in there, time will play a big a role in healing your knee. I read somewhere that it takes 120 days for your tendon collagen to regain its full tensile strength.

    Have you tried eccentric exercises yet? I do these, and I've found that they have helped quite a bit. Take a look at this useful site for more info on this... http://eccentric-exercises.blogspot.com/

    Also do some foam rolling on your quads and ITB after your training sessions.

    $1870 is really expensive. I live in South Africa and my entire procedure was R880 which at the current exchange rate is just over $100! So I'm not sure yours is so pricey over in the states.

    I have updated Day 3 http://plateletrichplasmainjection.blogspot.com/2012/05/day-3.html

    And will try keep the blog updated weekly. Also look out for some advice of useful supplements and a breakdown all the treatments I've used and which worked best.

    Thanks for your feedback and I wish you well on your recovery.

    Regards,
    Dillon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm off for a PRP Injection this Friday (May 2, 2014) here in Ontario, Canada. I have been suffering from Patella Tendonosis for about 2 years also. I've tried excersise, physio, shock wave therapy and a cortisone injection. I sure hope this helps.

    The cost for me will be around $250 per injection for a total of two injections.

    I'll keep you posted.

    Trevor

    ReplyDelete